Calendar of Events

Memorial Weekend in Mitchell

Date: Saturday, May 23rd
Time: Noon-9pm
Location: Main Street, Mitchell

Pet & Baby Day

Date: Saturday, June 6th
Time: 9:00am-4:00pm
Location: Davison Feed Supply 1100 W. Havens

Pheasants Forever Kids Fishing Derby at Cabela's

Date: Saturday, June 6th
Time: Derby 9:00am-3:00pm
Location: Cabela’s Pond (East of the store.)

Request Information

Submit Your Story

Share your Mitchell, SD experience with us! By submitting your experience, you consent to approval for us to publish your name, city, state, story and image on our website and in any other promotional materials. We reserve the right to refuse inappropriate comments.

Facebook Live Feed

eNewsletter Sign-Up

Motorcoach Regulations for Mitchell, SD

1.      Prior to entering South Dakota, you must register your FMCSA authority with your base state under the Single State Registration System. Your base state will collect fees and issue a receipt. A copy of the receipt must be carried in each vehicle registered. The registration fee is $5 for each vehicle you bring into South Dakota.

IMPORTANT: You must apply for this authority prior to your arrival in South Dakota, and each vehicle must be able to show proof of registration. An interstate motor carrier who infrequently makes use of the state highways with a non-scheduled chartered bus may elect to pay for a single trip permit for the bus in lieu of registering the bus pursuant to South Dakota motor carrier regulations. The fee for the single trip permit is $40. Must show proof of liability insurance.

2.      If your vehicle consumes special fuel (diesel or liquid petroleum gas), you may purchase a special fuel user’s temporary trip permit for $20. It is valid until you leave the state of South Dakota. If you plan to operate in South Dakota on a regular basis, you may file an application for a special fuel user’s license with the Department of Revenue and Regulation. If you are licensed under the IFTA program in your base state, South Dakota will honor that license.
3.      If a vehicle is not displaying apportioned plates from an IRP State, the carrier can purchase a temporary trip permit (Highway Use Receipt) from the Department of Commerce and Regulation for a $15 fee. 
4.      Temporary trip permits may be obtained by calling the South Dakota Permit Center at (605) 698-3925. South Dakota will honor the IRP plate and cab card as long as South Dakota is indicated on the cab card.

For More Regulation Information

South Dakota Highway Patrol
Motor Carrier Section
118 West Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501-5070
(605) 773-4578
(605) 773-7144, fax
South Dakota Public Utilities Commission
State Capitol
500 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501-5070
(605) 773-5275
(605) 773-3225, fax



KellyInnCountyFairFoodStoresRamada LogoAD ZossAmericInnSoutheast SD1